The barn was originally built in 1886 to operate a dairy farm in the popular dairy era. Prior to our barn being built, what is known as The Great Drought of 1862, wiped out the majority of the cattle and sheep in the Edna Valley. Following this detrimental drought, the Rodriguez family took over the parcel of property, when they were issued a land grant from “la Mission de San Luis Obispo” de Tolosa, that the barn sits on today. With the passing of particular family members, one of the brothers Jacinto Rodriguez was left with debt that he was unable to pay off. In order to pay the debt off, he was pinned in the situation of selling the land to the Steele Brothers.
In June of 1866 Edgar Willis Steele came to San Luis Obispo, where he and his brothers, George and Isaac purchased 45,000 acres of land in southern Edna Valley from Jacinto Rodriguez. The Steele brothers then developed five successful dairy farms in what is today’s Edna Valley and Arroyo Grande areas. After the Steele brothers owned the barn, there have been multiple owners throughout the years, however, the barn remained original and has left a historical stamp in this area.
The owners Earl and Chris Darway have been on the Central Coast since their childhood. As fourth generation farmers, they grow a variety of produce in the heart of the Edna Valley. The farmlands surrounding the venue is where these brothers have planted their heart and soul. As we are a working farm, this ambiance truly is one of a kind.
The White Barn – Edna Valley
The Darway's found a classic California dairy barn that had been long forgotten and had a vision of creating a venue that could serve as the gateway to "happily ever after" for many years to come. They meticulously oversaw every detail in the resurrection of the barn to be certain that it was perfect in each detail, from the decision to paint the barn white to the dreamy hardware of the front doors. By laying stamped concrete floors and adding structural support without tampering with the redwood side paneling, the owners were able to transform the historic dairy barn into the clean chic barn it is today.